Terry and her Crazy Life

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Apricot Butter

Well I thought I'd try something new today, I had taken another big bowl full of apricots out of the refrigerator to let ripen on the counter and a day off from work meant...do something with them. So I went looking on line for a recipe. I always loved apple butter as a kid, then when I was in Vermont I was introduced to pumpkin butter...mmmmm. So I thought I'd try apricot butter. There was a recipe, it was credited to the rival crock-pot book so I tried it and yeah ! it worked ! I took the apricots and washed and pitted them, put them into a pan and cooked them...
They were so pretty and orange. After they were mushy I put them into the blender....7 cups of mushy apricots, blended them up and dumped them into the crockpot...added 6 cups of sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. cloves and 2 T. lemon juice. It cooked for 10 hours, half way thru you take the lid off the crock pot...by then the fruit has turned a golden brown and this reduces the liquid.
Finally before dinner it became 7 jars of Apricot Butter ! We had it on toast at dinner and it was so good, I will definitely do this one again with another one of those bowls of apricots waiting in the refrigerator !

3 comments: