Terry and her Crazy Life

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ethiopian Food

Well these friends of mine decided I just needed some worldly travel experience, so tonight, Denise and Sarah and I met at this Cafe Lalibela for Ethiopian food. I who made it thru the Indian cuisine thought, why not !
So Sarah and I started out with Ethiopian Beer. She had a dark one, rather fruity in taste, mine was light and sort of had more of a lemony taste, I thought it was very good.
Then they bring you this basket of the strangest stuff. It's the "vehicle" for getting the food to your mouth as they have no silverware or plates, kind of tasteless and what looks like it was made on a big griddle, probably poured out and it has this sort of bubbly texture, rather spongey. Compared to the wonderful Indian sorts of breads, this was rather strange ! It's not dry like a tortilla, but just sort of felt like a sponge !
So we ordered this vegetarian meal ( safe !) It's served on this big plate in the middle of the table, everything was placed on another one of those "sponge" things on the plate. Everything was very flavorful, but it was all the same texture....MUSHY. Like everything was stewed. Alot of it had a great taste, there was lentals and yellow peas and cabbage with potatoes and carrots and green beans that had a tomatoey sauce. Then they had a bit of fresh lettuce and a tomatoe with pretty good light dressing. One of the little things was cold. A couple of them had a spicey kick. It was all very interesting. I don't know that I really loved it, but I didn't really not like it either. Wouldn't be something I'd crave, just different.
So once again I've taken pictures of food and no people, but thanks Sarah and Denise for introducing me to Ethiopian food, I'm glad I got to try it. I'm hearing next month it's on to a Middle Eastern place !

1 comment:

  1. Good for you gals! Here's to "thinking outside the box", and eating outside our comfort zone! ;-)

    ReplyDelete